WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Two athletes from Purdue University will be taking their talents overseas this summer. Nick Schmidt and Henri LaLiberte will participate in the World University Rowing Championships.
The team from the United States will include 50 rowers. Teammates will come from other universities across the country. The team will train in Ypsilanti, Michigan in preparation for both the United States and World Championships.
LaLiberte said he's excited to be part of such an elite group.
"I was ecstatic, I mean honestly, I knew I was one of the top five candidates you know I hadn't heard anything you know I was kinda waiting on it," said Laliberte. "It's a cool opportunity to kind of get to go a to a new place, but also get to do something I'm really passionate about and dive into the next level and just see where it can take me."
The competition will take place in Shanghai, China from Aug. 10-12.
- Purdue Crew to send two athletes to World University Rowing Championships
- Purdue Crew rows in Tippecanoe County Mall
- Purdue Crew is rowing and raising money
- Purdue wins 42-28, sends Huskers to record 8th loss in row
- The Purdue Crew team is hosting its annual Row-A-Thon
- Purdue officially launches Purdue University Global
- Purdue University's Horticulture Park reopens
- Summer construction at Purdue University
- Happy 150th Birthday, Purdue University
- Purdue professor sets world record