LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — The Purdue College of Liberal Arts is partnering with Lafayette's Ivy Tech Community College to offer students a three year bachelor’s degree.
Students enrolled in Ivy Tech's ASAP program will have a direct pathway from the 11 month associate degree program to a bachelor's degree in a liberal arts major at Purdue.
The ASAP program is an accelerated associate’s degree program in which students receive their degree in one year instead of two. ASAP students also participate in community outreach events and enrichment programs during their time at Ivy Tech.
Sean McCan is the director of the Lafayette ASAP Program. He said he was excited about Purdue approaching Ivy Tech about the partnership.
“We thought it was a great fit,” explained McCan. “ Any time we can get, not just Ivy Tech students, but students across the state a degree in a quicker time they can enter the workforce. They start pursuing their dreams more quickly. We're definitely on board with that.”
McCan also said the partnership with Purdue will help prepare students for their future careers as scholars and professional lives after school.
“Getting the students this great foundation of classes before they move on is an option, but they may choose to go into the workforce.” McCan said. “These are important skills they need to learn, such as communication or how to interact in society and culture.”
The Dean of Purdue Liberal Arts, David Reingold, gave a statement in regards to the partnership.
“With Purdue’s commitment to value and access for higher education, this partnership opens the doors of the University to these students. By showing them a detailed path to degree completion and offering strong advising support, we can help them complete their bachelor’s degrees with two years at Purdue. Then, they can enter the workforce and contribute to the Indiana economy.”
- Purdue College of Liberal Arts partners with Ivy Tech ASAP program
- 'Love Liberal Arts' week underway at Purdue
- Ivy Tech educating addiction counselors
- Ivy Tech Community College to host annual career fair
- Ivy Tech Community College in Lafayette celebrates a big birthday
- Drug Take Back at Lafayette Ivy Tech Community College
- Ivy Tech offering new jump start program starting in fall
- Ivy Tech Week of Service Kicks Off
- Ivy Tech Lafayette students celebrate 2018 commencement
- Ivy Tech students celebrate at 2019 graduation