WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - A new Purdue initiative is helping bring alumni back to the Hoosier state. The University recently created the Purdue Brain Gain Initiative.
Since his time as governor, University President Mitch Daniels has been working to reverse the state's brain drain. A "Brain Drain" is when more graduates left for out of state opportunities.
Over the past decade Mitch Daniels has seen countless college graduates leave Indiana. But it isn't necessarily due to the state itself. "Not too many people leave Indiana because they don't like it here. It's that they saw more opportunity elsewhere,” said Daniels
Indiana has been talking about the "brain drain" for a long time. But in recent years, the numbers have started to change.
Daniels says more graduates are moving to or staying in Indiana than are leaving. "It has turned around. Not in a big enough way but we have more college graduates moving into the state than out,” said Daniels.
This turnaround has created a brain gain. But Daniels believes the gain can be taken even further. He helped create the Purdue Brain Gain Initiative. It will help connect Purdue graduates to employers across the state. "They could indicate a little personal information and the kind of job they are interested in. Now we're going out to companies saying here is a list of top talent we're building, who might fit your needs,” added Daniels.
An initial trial was conducted in September. According to Daniels, the initiative is already seeing success. "Hundreds of people have gone through the process of indicating serious interest. Many of them are now being interviewed for jobs,” said Daniels.
The initiative has already helped connect Purdue with marketing executives, scientists, and technical managers. Daniels hopes the early success of the Brain Gain is a sign of what is yet to come. "If we can get this going, who knows what we might accomplish,” said Daniels.
Daniels hopes Purdue's success will encourage other Indiana universities to create their own initiatives. He believes it could have an impact Indiana's economy.
- Purdue Brain Gain Initiative Helping Bring Purdue Alumni Back to Indiana
- Purdue basketball alumni game set for Aug. 4
- Upcoming film will focus on Purdue alumni Neil Armstrong
- Purdue Alumni give grandchildren the college experience at Grandparents University
- Veterans gain critical business experience at Purdue
- PURDUE POSTGAME SHOW: Indiana
- Purdue splits with Indiana State
- Purdue's new provost working on data science initiative
- Purdue basketball legends return to Mackey Arena for annual alumni game
- Purdue's new C-BRIC center to develop brain-inspired computing