LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - There's clear progress on the new building for Glen Acres Elementary School in Lafayette.
Drivers along Shenandoah Drive may notice the new structure going up next to the existing school.
Principal Megan Hatke said construction is actually slightly ahead of schedule.
The old building will be torn down to make way for a new parking lot for drop-off and pick-up.
News 18 talked to parents who are closely watching the progress of the new school. They look forward to sending their kids there once construction is complete.
"We are thankful because this school is old and the parking is not that great, so it will be safer for the kids," said Jamie Gunckle.
"The windows look a lot bigger, so they'll probably get a better view of the outdoors from class and stuff. That's just my guess. I don't know how it's going to look at the end, but it looks like it's going to be great," said Phaedra Kennedy.
The new school is set to be complete for the 2019-2020 school year.
- Progress continues on new Glen Acres Elementary School
- Teachers moving into Glen Acres Elementary
- Take a look inside Glen Acres Elementary School's new building
- A tour through the almost finished Glen Acres Elementary
- Glen Acres hosted a community open house
- Say goodbye to the old Glen Acres Thursday
- YMCA continues child care programs at Lafayette elementary schools
- Rain continues to push back field production for Exploration Acres
- Construction on Stadium Ave. campus continue to progress
- PAWS program shows progress