LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Wednesday marks one year since a 16-year-old boy was found dead outside a Lafayette apartment complex. Now, investigators believe they are "very close" to wrapping up the case.
Keiandre Holt's body was found by children who were on their way to school the morning of Aug. 21, 2018. It happened on the city's east side, near Creasy and Mccarty lanes.
Sgt. Mike Brown with Lafayette police said officers believe Holt's death is directly related to a robbery that happened in the area. The robbery happened hours before Holt's body was found in the exact same area.
Just before 1 a.m. that day, officers responded to a call of an armed robbery in the 3900 block of Amelia Avenue. A pizza delivery driver told police a man tried to rob him while he was making a delivery.
That's when police said the driver, Cody Achgill, fired his handgun at the suspect. The suspect then ran away.
Police then recovered a handgun that is believed to have belonged to the suspect.
Neighbors in the area want police to find out who killed Holt. Lorne Sadler was at home when Holt's body was found.
"He was just a kid and his life matters just as much as anybody else's life," said Sadler. "Yeah, he's from Chicago but he still was found dead here. Find out what happened."
Sgt. Brown said he believes it is accurate to say Holt is from the Chicago-area. It is not confirmed why he was here or who he was staying with.
Deputies are still reviewing information and Sgt. Brown said and by no means is the case, "put to bed yet." He even said investigators are very close to wrapping up the case.
Police are confident they will be able to forward both Holt's case, and the armed robbery case to prosecutor's office in the very near future.
Brown sais once the cases are sent over, everything is on the prosecutors timeline.
- Police 'very close' to finishing teen homicide investigation 1 year later
- Neighbors react to LPD homicide investigation
- LPD investigating homicide, suspect in custody
- Delphi one year after the double homicide
- Suspect in custody after teen dies in Lafayette homicide
- Lafayette police investigate teen hit while crossing Creasy Lane
- Community reacts to Indiana State Police 'moving in new direction' with Delphi homicide investigation
- Police release the number of new tips received in Delphi homicide investigation
- Delphi homicide investigation moves back to Delphi City Hall
- ISP investigating possible homicide after mushroom hunters find body