CRAWFORDSVILLE, Ind. (WLFI) — Indiana State Police detectives are investigating another police-involved shooting in Montgomery County. It's the second shooting involving an officer in the past two weeks, and fourth in Montgomery County since December.
The Montgomery County Sheriff's Office said it happened at 8:10 p.m. on 150 Banjo Drive. That's about a mile east of Crawfordsville on State Road 32. ISP was asked to investigate the shooting that involved one Crawfordsville police officer.
ISP said Crawfordsville police attempted to stop a Jeep Cherokee for a traffic violation in the 2000 block of Lebanon Road. A short chase ended on Banjo Drive.
The suspect was uncooperative with officers, ISP said. The person then waved a gun towards officers and in self-defense, one of the officers fired and hit the suspect at least once.
The suspect was taken to Franciscan Hospital in Crawfordsville with unknown injuries and later transported to St. Vincent hospital in Indianapolis.
No officers or other people were injured in the incident.
On May 22, 36-year-old Lucas Anderson was shot in the face by a Crawfordsville Police Department officer about 1 a.m. in the 300 block of Walnut Street. Indiana State Police said the officer shot Anderson in self-defense.
Anderson's injuries were not considered to be life-threatening. He was charged with domestic battery and strangulation. His trial is set for Aug. 20.
In April, 39-year-old Matthew Olsen was struck after he allegedly fired at deputies at a home near Lagoda. Police said the Montgomery County SWAT team was attempting to serve a warrant for a person inside the home.
On Dec. 28, Glenn Rightsell of Linden, died at the Franciscan Health Crawfordsville hospital after he was shot on U.S. 231 near North Montgomery High School, about 15 miles south of Lafayette.
In March, the Montgomery County prosecutor's office determined there wasn't evidence to prove Organ was not acting in self defense. No charges were filed.
Last week, Rightsell's wife filed a claim to sue Indiana State Police and other groups involved in the shooting.
- Person injured in police-involved shooting near Crawfordsville
- Crawfordsville police searching for missing person
- Crawfordsville Police Department find missing person
- Crawfordsville police investigating bank robbery
- Crawfordsville Police Department looking for second missing person
- Crawfordsville Police working on another missing persons case
- Crawfordsville Police investigating report of candy tampering
- Crawfordsville Roadeo competition gets tighter
- One person injured in personal injury crash
- Police release images of Crawfordsville bank robbery suspect