MIAMI COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — Indiana State Police and the Miami County Sheriff’s Department are seeking information about a semi-tractor allegedly involved in a fatal crash.
According to police, at approximately 2:40 a.m. Tuesday morning officers responded to a two-vehicle crash on U.S. 31 near Miami County Road 900 South.
The preliminary crash investigation by ISP Trooper Dustin Rutledge revealed that 56-year-old Mark Raines and 57-year-old Terry Smith from Muncie were riding on a moped southbound on U.S. 31 near Miami County Road 900 South. The moped was rear-ended by a roll-off dumpster truck driven by John Buckler of Sweetser, IN.
The crash impact caused Raines and Smith to be ejected from the moped. Smith was then hit by a southbound semi-tractor that did not stop. Smith was pronounced dead at the scene. Raines was flown from the crash scene via helicopter to Lutheran Hospital in Ft Wayne. Buckler was not injured.
Investigators are seeking information about the semi-tractor that allegedly hit Smith and failed to stop. It is believed to be a dark-colored semi-tractor, pulling a box trailer, possibly a refrigerator unit. The semi-tractor is possibly a Kenworth. Information can be reported by calling the Indiana State Police Peru Post at 1-765-473-6666.
- Police seeking information in fatal Miami County crash
- EMT Dies in Miami County Crash
- Police seek information on cemetery vandalism
- Kokomo teen dies in Miami Co. crash
- Miami County crash claims life of 12-year-old girl
- One dead after motorcycle crash in Miami County
- 1 dead, 6 injured after Miami County crash
- One injured in Miami County school bus crash
- Police catch 2 during Miami Co. burglary
- State police investigate inmate stabbing at Miami Correctional Facility