AUBURN, Ind. (AP) — Authorities say someone found skeletal remains in a wooded area on the edge of a northeastern Indiana city.
State police say the remains were reported Saturday afternoon by a person who was walking in the woods that are surrounded by a Walmart store and other commercial and industrial businesses in the city of Auburn about 20 miles north of Fort Wayne. Police say the remains couldn't be immediately identified because of the level of decomposition.
Police say no signs of foul play were initially found, but that an autopsy was scheduled for Monday. Investigators hope information from the autopsy will help them determine the person's identity and the circumstances of the death.
Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Police say skeletal remains found in northern Indiana city
- Bridge closure worries businesses in northern Indiana city
- Remains found in western Indiana identified as missing man
- Police name northern Indiana man fatally shot by deputies
- Charges expected after northern Indiana police dog dies in crash
- Police: 'Dangerous' inmate escapes from Northern Indiana State Prison
- Fire heavily damages northern Indiana RV plant
- Possible tornado damages buildings in northern Indiana
- Indiana governor remains against legalizing marijuana
- Officer cleared in shooting of boy, 13, in northern Indiana