HAMMOND, Ind. (AP) — A 44-year-old man has died after being struck by a vehicle on Interstate 80 in northwestern Indiana's Hammond.
Indiana State Police say Wednesday that Freeman Pace of West Lafayette was hit while walking in the roadway about 7:30 p.m. Tuesday.
Police say in a release that the accident "stemmed from a domestic incident" after a husband and wife stopped their vehicle on the freeway's shoulder. They walked across the interstate and were heading back to the other side when the male was struck by a passing car driven by a 58-year-old Chicago woman.
The man was taken to an area hospital and then airlifted to a hospital near Chicago where he was pronounced dead.
- Police: W. Lafayette man struck, killed on Indianapolis interstate
- Indianapolis woman struck by train after stepping out of car
- Lafayette police officer struck in accidental shooting released from hospital
- Indiana man struck, killed by falling rock in Hawaii
- Man accused of killing Indianapolis doctor appears in court
- Indianapolis sailor killed at Pearl Harbor identified
- UPDATE: Details emerge after person struck by car in Lafayette
- Man convicted in shootings at 2 Indianapolis police offices
- Lafayette Jeff tops Indianapolis Metropolitan in Barnhizer's debut