LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — A person on a bike was hit by a vehicle in Lafayette Wednesday afternoon, according to Lafayette police.
Police were on scene near the BP gas station on 22nd Street and U.S. 52/Teal Road.
Micheal Sparrow was there before police arrived.
"I was driving down this way and we happened to see the kid laying down on the ground" said Sparrow. "And there was like two or three ladies but one of them was really freaking out."
Sparrow thinks the 19- year- old bicyclist hit by a white car was gaining consciousness before police arrived.
"He was sorta trying to get up," said Sparrow.
However, police told us he wasn't conscious when they got there. He was in serious condition with a head injury. They're still trying to figure out what happened.
"That was really scary. I really have an issue with bikes on roads like this because it's way too many directions for traffic to come through here," said Sparrow. "My prayers go out to the family. Hope everything turns out to be OK."
Sparrow thinks there is room for a lesson. It didn't appear the bicyclist was wearing a helmet. Sparrow thinks more people should consider putting one on especially in high traffic areas like the one where this incident happened.
"Definitely, because that head injury, that's nothing to joke about, it's nothing to joke about because all of that can swell up in your brain and you ain't got nothing but problems ever since," said Sparrow.
Police have yet to release an identity or an update on the man's condition.
They do not believe alcohol or drugs to be a factor at this time.
Our reporter on scene sent in the following photos from the scene.
- Person on bicycle hit by car in Lafayette
- Man arrested, accused of hitting LPD officer with bicycle
- UPDATE: Details emerge after person struck by car in Lafayette
- Lafayette Car Thefts
- Alcohol, bicycles and shotguns recovered in string of Monticello burglaries
- Purdue student involved in bicycle crash has died
- Bicyclists of all ages needed to help raise bicycle awareness
- Car crashes into Lafayette hair salon
- Person killed in a crash involving a semi, multiple cars
- One person injured in personal injury crash