LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Lafayette police say a person was found shot near the corner of Ninth and Virginia streets Friday morning.
Police responded to the area just after 7 a.m. Less than one hour later, police confirmed to News 18 the victim had died. The victim was identified as 30-year-old Thayer Summers of Lafayette.
This is Lafayette's second homicide of 2018.
According to a press release from the Lafayette Police Department, this case is being investigated as a homicide. At this time they believe the public is in no danger and police do not believe this to be a random act.
The shooter has not been found and police are interviewing neighbors and other potential witnesses.
You can watch News 18 at Noon for an update on the shooting investigation.
- LPD released name of Lafayette homicide victim
- LPD: "Shooter interviewed and released" in Friday's 9th Street homicide
- Neighbors react to LPD homicide investigation
- LPD investigating homicide, suspect in custody
- LPD locate the two missing Lafayette children
- Officials release identity of second victim in homicide, arson investigation
- LPD celebrates distinguished officer
- LPD officer suspended
- Victims of Lafayette house fire released from hospital
- LPD arrests Lafayette man after child exploitation investigation