LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Park East Boulevard in Lafayette is going to get longer over the next couple of years. Currently, Park East Boulevard goes from South Street to McCarty Lane.
Plans are in the works to extend the road to Haggerty Lane. Then in a separate project, from Haggerty to State Road 38.
Lafayette City Engineer Jeromy Grenard said there is a lot of un-used land in the area, and it's gaining attention.
"There is a master plan for development for that area a lot of industrial and general business several hundred acres and this will help to serve that area," said Grenard.
Lafayette Mayor Tony Roswarski said the city has big plans for that end of town.
"Roads big enough to move traffic, we're going to want trails, we are going to want bike lanes, we are going to want drainage, we are going to want some kind of boulevard look," said Roswarski.
City Engineer Jeromy Grenard said making the road longer, will help to fill a gap.
"We have Creasy Lane which is a major thoroughfare, we have Veterans Memorial Parkway but there is quite a distance between those two. This will be adding that third north south arterial through the area," said Grenard.
Which will be convenient for developers of all kinds, who have taken an interest in the area.
"Medical uses, industrial uses, some housing and then some parks and recreation," said Roswarski.
The extension to Haggerty Lane is expected to start in 2021. For the past two months the city has been conducting the Park East Access Study.
The study focuses on development in that area, iincluding possibly adding a fourth Lafayette on-ramp to I-65. The draft for the study is expected to be finished in June.
- Park East Boulevard growing with the city
- City of Lafayette looking to improve traffic safety, extending Park East Boulevard
- City announces additional parking downtown
- Tippecanoe County's growing gains
- Greater Lafayette's growing pains
- City of Lafayette planning for growing group of commuters
- City employees getting parks ready for summer
- City moves forward on Columbian Park carousel
- Franciscan Health Lafayette East's campus expanding
- Armed robbery reported on Lafayette's east side