Photo Gallery 3 Images
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WFLI) — Purdue trustees gathered on campus Thursday to make an announcement regarding the university's name for the Kaplan acquisition.
The new online university will be called Purdue University Global.
The name, along with NewU, was one of more than 30 considered and was eventually approved by all members the Executive Committee of the Purdue University Board of Trustees and the Board of Trustees of Purdue NewU.
The online school's name will become official after the Kaplan acquisition clears the final hurdle of approval by the Higher Learning Commission, which is the regional accreditor for both Purdue and Kaplan. The HLC will be meeting on Feb. 22 for a vote.
The Indiana Commission for Higher Education gave its approval in September.
They added the stipulation that the new school's name include the word Purdue.
According to a press release from Purdue, the name was chosen "after extensive qualitative and quantitative research, which included input from faculty, staff, students and alumni of both institutions, as well as employers and other stakeholders."
"Our campuses are typically named after the physical locations where they hold classes. Purdue University Global can be accessed from anywhere in the world, at any time," said Purdue President Mitch Daniels. "The name proved appealing and meaningful to our various stakeholders – most importantly prospective students."
He added that the name is consistent with the mission of the online university which Daniels said is, "to bring postsecondary credentials and even degrees to people who otherwise will never have a chance to achieve them and thereby help them get a leg up on life."
Betty Vandenbosch, president ok Kaplan University, who will become chancellor of Purdue University Global added, "The name is respectful of Purdue's exceptional reputation, but also distinct from Purdue's other campuses."
Additional information about the announcement can be found at www.PurdueNewU.org.
- PURDUE: NewU offical name announced
- Purdue to make announcement regarding Purdue NewU
- Purdue's NewU: Breaking down questions in the Kaplan University acquisition
- NewU moves forward with approvals of school ethics statement and academic programs
- Purdue announces new Gateway Complex
- Purdue 2018 hall of fame class announced
- Purdue announces contract extension for Jeff Brohm
- Former Purdue police officers settle discrimination lawsuit
- Purdue football announces future football game dates, opponents
- Purdue President Mitch Daniels announces 7th year of frozen tuition