LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Organizers of the Nelly concert are back to square one when it comes to where the show will be held.
Plans were in place to bring the concert to Main Street in downtown Lafayette, but those plans were tabled at today's Lafayette Board of Works meeting.
The owner of Main Street Live Nate Pientok hopes Main Street will be filled with 4,000 people on October 6, but after a verbal complaint at Tuesday's meeting, he is re-working all of his plans.
The Nelly concert was originally scheduled to be held at the Tippecanoe County Amphitheater on June 14, but that was canceled when organizers couldn't agree on security costs on time.
Since then organizers have drawn up a new footprint that includes closing down Main Street from 6th street to 8th street.
All of the appropriate paperwork was signed and permits granted, and owner Nate Pientok thought he was finally done and ready to announce the new concert venue.
But one business owner on Main Street isn't happy with the plans, now Pientok is starting over.
"99% of the businesses that were affected are on board, it's just that one percent that we kind of have to overcome and or change the whole layout forWe reached out to that businesses owner to hear his concerns and haven't heard back yet," said Pientok.
Owner of Professor Joe's Joe Wenig said he doesn't understand how closing people in on Main Street, could ever be a bad thing for businesses.
"We all struggle with getting people downtown and we all support the idea of getting more foot traffic and this is just an opportunity that I hope we don't miss," said Wenig.
Pientok doesn't want to miss it either, he hopes this compromise can help.
"We're looking at going from...blocking 6th street from South to somewhere past Ferry...just depends on capacity," explained Pientok.
Although he hopes he can still get the Main Street location approved, he is still drawing up new plans.
No word on when those will be presented to the board of works, but we will continue to follow the progress.
- Organizers re-working plans to bring Nelly downtown
- Organizers voice concerns over security costs for Nelly concert
- Both parties work to bring down security costs for upcoming Nelly concert
- Nelly concert in Tippecanoe County postponed
- Concert will proceed Thursday night without Nelly
- Nelly concert rescheduled for Saturday in October
- Nelly concert scheduled for Oct. 6
- Rescheduled Lafayette Nelly concert officially cancelled
- Hard to believe, but here are the 'final' plans for the Nelly concert
- Nelly to be rescheduled, concert still happening at Lafayette Theater