MARION, Ind. (WLFI) — A Grant County teenager is dead after a crash involving a Marion police officer Friday night. It happened around 11 p.m. at Third and Washington streets in Marion.
Investigators said that Officer Brian Davis was driving a squad car westbound on Third Street approaching Washington Street.
As the police car entered the intersection, a southbound vehicle driven by 18-year-old Payton Rogers ran a red light and pulled into its path.
Police said the officer was on the way to a call and had emergency lights and siren activated. The police car also had the right-of-way with a green traffic light.
Rogers was pronounced dead at the scene. A female passenger was airlifted to a Fort Wayne hospital with a head injury.
Officer Davis was taken to a local hospital and treated for non-life threatening injures.
The crash is still under investigation.
- One dead after vehicle crashes into police squad car in Marion
- Marion man dead after two-vehicle crash
- 1 dead in two-vehicle Peru crash
- Man wrestles with police, tries to hide needle in squad car after arrested
- One person dead after off-road vehicle crash
- One dead, two critical in hit-and-run crash; police looking for vehicle
- Police investigating car crash in Frankfort
- Marion County dispenses record levels of naloxone
- Marion County adopts needle exchange program
- 1 dead after car crashes into Warren County home