CARROLL COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) - A Lafayette man is dead and another has been arrested after an off-road-vehicle crash in Carroll County.
DNR said it happened about 1:20 Saturday morning. Carroll County emergency crews were sent to the 5000 block of County Road 100 West. That's just southwest of Cutler.
Quentin Smith, 25 of Lafayette, told officers he was driving north when he tried to turn into a a driveway. He missed the driveway and crossed over a drainage ditch. Smith then lost control and the ORV started to roll, throwing the passenger. Police said neither person was wearing a helmet or a seatbelt.
The passenger, 25-year-old Derek Hufford of Lafayette, was pronounced dead on the scene.
The DNR said excessive speed and alcohol are believed to be factors.
Smith was arrested and taken to the Carroll County Jail. He was arrested on preliminary charges of operating while intoxicated, operating while intoxicated causing death, operating an ORV at unreasonable speed, and operating an ORV under the influence of alcohol.
Hufford was a Sheffield Township Firefighter. News 18 is working to learn more about Hufford.
- Lafayette man dead in Carroll County ORV crash
- Rossville man injured in ORV crash
- Woman injured in White County ORV crash
- Frankfort woman airlifted in ORV crash
- Three people dead after plane crash in Carroll County
- Burlington man arrested for driving ORV under the influence
- Child injured in Clinton County's second ORV crash in 3 days
- Man who died after Carroll County crash identified
- After a year, ORV helmet law leads to results
- Carroll County man injured while hunting