Given that there was much more in the way of sleet & freezing rain over the area than snow, snowfall totals were cut. There were reports of ice area-wide, both sleet & freezing rain, even in our far northwestern areas. Of the 0.5" sleet, trace of freezing rain & 0.1" of snow near the television station, it all melted to 0.27", which would be 2.7" of snow (if it would have been all snow in a traditional 10:1 ratio).
The storm appeared to wobble a bit to the northwest, keeping main deformation zone of snow over Illinois. Nonetheless, it was a rough morning for driving.
Areas of black ice will develop after 5 p.m. as temperatures drop below freezing. Also there may still be a few patches of light snow & freezing drizzle around before it tapers tonight.
A huge thanks to all NWS COOP, CoCoRAHs & WLFI spotters for your snow/ice totals!
However, as warm front drifts northeast through viewing area after 2 a.m., some patchy freezing drizzle & snow grains may develop. This may result in some enhancement to icy spots Friday morning. Lows tonight will drop & level off in the upper 20s.
Soundings show subtle lift & saturation for the drizzle & some snow grains.
This will be followed by mostly cloudy to cloudy skies Friday with light fog/haze & highs 38-42.
Alberta clipper & cold front will pass Saturday PM-night. A few rain/snow showers are possible Saturday PM, followed by some scattered snow showers Saturday evening-night. Any accumulation than can occur will be light. This would tend to pass during the Purdue game with temperatures in the 30s.
A few snow showers are possible Sunday with partly to mostly cloudy skies & highs in the 30s after 20s in the morning.
- November 15, 4 PM Weather Forecast Update: Ice/Snow Totals & What to Expect Now-Weekend
- November 14, 9:30 PM Weather Forecast Update: Snow & Ice Closing In
- November 11, 12 PM Weather Forecast Update
- November 11, 7 PM Weather Forecast Update
- November 12, 6 PM Weather Forecast Update
- November 22, 7 PM Weather Forecast Update
- November 27, 2 PM Weather Forecast Update
- November 7, 11:15 PM Weather Forecast Update
- November 12, 9:15 PM Weather Forecast Update
- November 15, 11:30 PM Weather Forecast Update