After winter driving skills were tested a bit the last little event (mainly in the northwestern areas), this willreally test the winter driving skills for the entire viewing area.
Snow & some sleet & freezing rain is racing northward. It should overspread the area rapidly in the coming hours. Road conditions will deteoriate rapidly.
Bad road conditions will be with us right through early tomorrow morning with any icy precipitation going to all snow.
Snow should decrease late morning-midday. It will taper down to patchy light snow/snow pellets, drizzle & freezing drizzle for the afternoon. Road conditions should improve with highs 32-35 after 27-31 in the morning.
Black ice will begin to re-develop in the evening.
This is plowable snow & ice.
Dozens & dozens of accidents have been reported in the southern part of the state from this already & it is working northward quickly.
I upped totals a bit with the banding feature of a deformation zone on the northwest quadrant of the low pressure.
This band appears to be where the warm, very moist air (which will make some mixed icy precipitation) will be slid upward the most into the snow-making zone of the troposphere.
So, warm air aloft will try to wrap into the northwest counties, but colder temperature aloft will be moving southward, making for a baroclinic (frontal) zone in the snow-making layer of that area. Given the adundant moisture also thurst in there, banding feature will enhance the snow.
Less than 0.1" of sleet & freezing rainfall is likely east of U.S. 41.
- November 14, 9:30 PM Weather Forecast Update: Snow & Ice Closing In
- November 14, 1:30 PM Weather Forecast Update
- December 14, 2 PM Weather Forecast Update
- February 14, 7 PM Weather Forecast Update
- November 15, 4 PM Weather Forecast Update: Ice/Snow Totals & What to Expect Now-Weekend
- November 11, 12 PM Weather Forecast Update
- November 11, 7 PM Weather Forecast Update
- November 12, 6 PM Weather Forecast Update
- November 22, 7 PM Weather Forecast Update
- November 27, 2 PM Weather Forecast Update