This was the coldest morning so early in the season in 23 years!
The record for West Lafayette this morning was 8 set in 1986, however. Records go back to 1879. The earliest a temperature of 13 or less has been record in West Lafayette was 10 in the historic Arctic outbreak of November 3, 1951. However, unofficial records from Greater Lafayette show a low of 9 in late October 1869 after an unseasonable 9" snowfall.
System continues to accelerate northward. This means precipitation will get in here sooner, but will also taper sooner.
1. It now looks like precipitation could make it into southern Fountain & Montgomery counties by 11 p.m. & reach Greater Lafayette by 1:30 a.m. It should reach the northernmost parts of the viewing area by 4 a.m.
2. A mix of sleet & freezing rain are likely initially with a transition to more in the way of snowfall with time.
3. There will be more sleet & freezing rain in our southeastern counties than in the northwestern counties. So, there will be more snowfall in the western & northwestern area & less in the southeast.
4. Much of the accumulating snowfall will be over by 1 p.m. There will be some patchy light snow, snow pellets at times afterward, but the majority of it will be gone in the afternoon. There may even be a little bit of drizzle &/or freezing drizzle at times.
5. So, worst of the conditions will be the morning to midday, then things improve nicely. Then, things should slicken up a bit again after 5 p.m. as temperature fall & any moisture or slush re-freezes.
6. After 28-32 for the duration of the event, we should reach 32-35 in the afternoon, then fall to 29-31 in the evening.
7. The wind will be pretty brisk from the northeast to east in the morning to midday hours, then turn to the west-southwest. After running 10-20 mph all morning to midday, they should decrease to 5-10 mph by late afternoon.
Highs on Friday, with partly to mostly cloudy skies, should reach 38-43, leading to much melting, after 24-28 in the morning with areas of black ice.
- November 14, 4:30 PM Weather Forecast Update: Coldest Morning So Early In Year Since 1995
- November 14, 1:30 PM Weather Forecast Update
- December 14, 2 PM Weather Forecast Update
- February 14, 7 PM Weather Forecast Update
- March 14, 2 PM Weather Forecast Update
- April 14, 12 PM Weather Forecast Update
- November 11, 12 PM Weather Forecast Update
- November 11, 7 PM Weather Forecast Update
- November 12, 6 PM Weather Forecast Update
- November 22, 7 PM Weather Forecast Update