WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — The No. 17-ranked Purdue men’s basketball team faces yet another stiff challenge, battling Butler in Saturday’s seventh edition of the Crossroads Classic in Indianapolis.
The game will be televised by FOX Sports with Gus Johnson, Jim Jackson and Lisa Byington on the call. Larry Clisby and Rob Blackman will handle the radio broadcast on the Purdue Radio Network and live stats will be provided on StatBroadcast.com. Fans can receive in-game updates on Purdue Basketball’s official Twitter account (@BoilerBall).
Purdue is looking for its second straight win in the event and first against Butler since Dec. 19, 1998. Purdue defeated No. 21-ranked Notre Dame last year 86-81, overcoming a 19-point deficit to win.
Following Saturday’s contest with Butler, Purdue will close out the pre-Christmas schedule with a home game against Tennessee State on Dec. 21, at 6 p.m. ET.
Looking Back (Purdue 86, IUPUI 61):
• After falling behind IUPUI 19-10 eight minutes into the game Sunday, Purdue outscored the Jaguars 76-42 over the last 32 minutes for an 86-61 victory at Mackey Arena.
• The win was Purdue’s sixth straight victory, five of which have come against teams ranked in KenPom.com’s top 100.
• Purdue shot 23-of-31 (.742) from inside the 3-point line and made 16-of-17 (.941) free throws. After starting the game 0-of-9 from 3-point range, Purdue made eight of its last 17 3-point tries.
• Purdue led 34-31 late in the first half before embarking on a 20-0 run spanning halftime to break the game open.
• Carsen Edwards scored a career-high 27 points on 11-of-17 field goal attempts. Vincent Edwards recorded his fifth double-double of the season with 12 points and 12 rebounds.
The Numbers to Know:
• 300: Matt Painter won his 300th game in the win over IUPUI, now with a 300-149 career record.
• 15: Number of coaches in NCAA history to win 300 games in 14 or fewer seasons, including Painter.
• 13: Purdue’s winning streak in games played in December (last loss -- Butler; Dec. 19, 2015).
• 13: Purdue’s largest deficit of the season (Western Kentucky).
• 14: Winning streak in home games, the seventh-longest homecourt winning streak in America.
• 5: Number of teams nationally to have four players average 13.0 points per game.
• 84.4: Free throw percentage of Purdue’s five starters (184-of-218).
• 1-5: Purdue’s record in the Crossroads Classic after defeating Notre Dame last year.
• 94-10: Purdue’s record under Matt Painter when scoring 80 or more points.
• 128-4: Purdue’s record under Matt Painter when holding opponents to 59 or fewer points.
- Notes: Purdue basketball set for Butler
- Howe, McKenzie propel Purdue past Butler 5-3
- VIDEO: Notes from Purdue's NFL Pro Day
- HIGHLIGHTS: Purdue holds off Butler's late surge in Crossroads Classic
- Time, broadcast details released for Purdue-Butler game
- Purdue advances to Sweet 16 with win over Butler
- Postgame Coverage: How did Purdue beat Butler without Isaac Haas?
- No. 17 Butler relies on strong defense to stifle Purdue
- Fugitive Found: Parese Christopher Butler
- Purdue basketball, climbs one spot, set for Marquette Game