CLINTON COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) - The Clinton Prairie school board decided not to renew an assistant principal's contract Tuesday night. This comes after more than 100 parents, teachers and students came out to rally behind the assistant principal. The board never gave a reason why they didn't renew his contract.
Dozens of people came out to support Jonathan Shannon who is vice principal at Clinton Prairie Elementary School. Parents, teachers and students all spoke out, saying Shannon was not only supportive, but reliable.
More than 200 parents signed a petition to keep Shannon on and more than 100 elementary students signed their own petition.
Shannon has been with the school for six years.
The board voted 4-1 not to renew Shannon's contract, meaning his contract will be up in July.
The current principal, Joe Walker, is retiring at the end of the year.
Now that Shannon's contract hasn't been renewed, the elementary will start off with an entirely new administration next year. Parents now want to why his contract wasn't renewed.
"He always has a smile on his face and he's always there for the kids," said parent Jennifer Schilling. "The fact that they don't want to renew -- there's gotta be something and it sounds like it's personal to them. It's not because he did anything wrong. It just sounds like maybe they have an issue, not him."
Parents demanded to know the reason behind not renewing his contract. However, the board said it was private and personal.
"The board was elected by us," said parent Jennifer Shifflett. "They're supposed to represent us and to have them ignore all of the great things that were said about him and just take it upon themselves to make such a huge decision for the entire school is wrong. It's just wrong."
News 18 asked the superintendent what the reason was the nonrenewal and she said no comment at this time. Parents News 18 spoke to say this fight is far from over.
- Non-renewal of Clinton Prairie asst. principal's contract causes community outrage
- Clinton Prairie student receives prestigious scholarship
- HIGHLIGHTS: Clinton Prairie 31, Seeger 23 (GBB)
- Rossville HS Asst. Principal, 25-year-old injured in Veterans Memorial Parkway crash
- Fall Camp Frenzy: Raymond Jones era begins at Clinton Prairie
- Clinton Prairie pulls away from Carroll in sectional opener
- Purdue president's contract extended
- Chad's Garden: Twelive Mile Prairie & the Prairies Around It 200 Years Ago
- Indiana's Catholic bishops wanted renewed execution freeze
- Purdue will extend Bobinski's contract