WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Purdue Sports) — No. 21 Purdue (20-7, 10-6 B1G) swept Wisconsin (17-8, 8-8 B1G) 25-19, 25-21, 25-20 to defeat its second top-10 opponent in as many days for the first time in program history. The Boilermakers hit .318 while holding the Badgers to a .194 hitting percentage with three student-athletes registering 10-plus kills in their fifth sellout of the season. The Badgers had not been suffered a three-set loss this season heading into tonight's contest.
"I think we did a really good job of staying focused on what we needed to do," said head coach Dave Shondell. "You can just see the evolution of our defense. From tough serving, to blockers getting to where they need to be, and to the backcourt players being disciplined making plays, playing harder, expanding their range. Then the ability to transition out of that because we have a really good setter and the hitters getting more confidence in a variety of shots."
Ashley Evans registered 44 assists and 10 digs, setting Purdue's Big Three to double-digit kills. Sherridan Atkinson registered 14 kills with a .480 hitting percentage, five blocks and five digs to lead the Boilermakers while Azariah Stahl and Danielle Cuttino each earning 13 kills on the night with Stahl hitting .478 with six digs while Cuttino hit .300 with four blocks. Caitlyn Newton and Blake Mohler combined for seven kills.
The Boilermakers' defense was the difference maker as Brooke Peters, Carissa Damler and Jena Otec combined for 20 digs to hold off the Badgers. Peters finished with six digs while Damler and Otec each earned seven with Otec adding a pair of service aces to her line. Fellow freshman Julianna Reisinger aced Wisconsin as well.
The Boilermakers have a quick turnaround as they will face Rutgers in New Brunswick, New Jersey, on Wednesday, Nov. 15, at 7 p.m. ET before heading to Ann Arbor, Michigan, to take on the Wolverines on Saturday, Nov. 18.
- No. 21 Purdue volleyball sweeps No. 10 Wisconsin
- HIGHLIGHTS: Purdue volleyball ends 3-game skid, sweeps Rutgers at home
- No. 12 Purdue volleyball sweeps ETSU in NCAA Tournament opener
- Purdue volleyball stuns No. Minnesota
- Purdue volleyball defeats Oakland, 3-1
- No. 21 Purdue dominates Valparaiso 80-50
- Purdue women upset #21 Rutgers, 47-33
- Purdue baseball sweeps season-opening double-header
- Purdue football sweeps Big Ten weekly awards
- Purdue volleyball duo honored by Big Ten