WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Purdue Sports) — The No. 16 Purdue volleyball team secured its sixth perfect weekend of the season with a sweep against Maryland inside a sold out Holloway Gymnasium Saturday night. The Boilermakers won the league contest by scores of 25-17, 25-15 and 25-19. The win marked the second straight year that Purdue defeated Ohio State and Maryland in the same weekend.
The Boilermakers had no shortage of offensive weapons to lean on, led by junior Caitlyn Newton with a match-high 15 kills. Sophomore Grace Cleveland followed with eight kills, while redshirt senior Blake Mohler and freshman Maddy Chinn chipped in six apiece. As a team, Purdue hit .315 (42 kills-13 errors-92 attempts), while holding Maryland to .195 (35-16-99).
Sophomore libero Marissa Hornung dominated on defense with zero reception errors and a match-best 19 digs, while redshirt sophomore Hayley Bush registered a match-high 34 assists.
Highlighting Purdue's team success were seven Boilermaker aces. Junior Jena Otec paced the effort with four, followed by Newton with two.
HOW IT HAPPANED
SET 1 (25-17) | A 7-1 sprint put the Boilermakers ahead 11-5 and forced the Terrapins to call for time. Purdue saw kills from five Boilermakers, including a set-high six from Newton as it cruised to a 25-17 victory.
SET 2 (25-15) | Purdue maintained its momentum alive in the second set with a 6-1 opening run. The Boilermakers kept building as they rode a 5-1 run out to an 18-11 advantage. Hitting .379 as a team, Purdue capitalized on a trio of Terrapin miscues to secure the set 25-15.
SET 3 (25-19) | Unlike the first two frames, Maryland opened with the advantage on a 3-0 run. Purdue battled back with a 5-2 run, knotting the score at seven. Tying the set four more times, the teams found themselves locked in at 14-14, when four consecutive Maryland attack errors pushed the momentum in Purdue's favor. The Boilermakers cushioned their lead with a Newton service ace and kills from Mohler and Bush, ultimately taking the set 25-19.
The Boilermakers look to maintain their winning ways as Rutgers comes to Holloway Gymnasium on Wednesday. The match will be live on BTN+ at 7 p.m. ET.
- No. 16 Purdue volleyball cruises to sweep of Maryland
- Purdue volleyball wins second straight, sweeps Northwestern
- Purdue volleyball sweeps Michigan on senior day
- Purdue baseball completes sweep with 8-6 win at Maryland
- Purdue volleyball edged by Maryland in five sets
- No. 16 Purdue cruises past Tennessee State 97-48
- Purdue volleyball cruises past Rutgers in straight sets
- HIGHLIGHTS: Purdue volleyball ends 3-game skid, sweeps Rutgers at home
- No. 21 Purdue volleyball sweeps No. 10 Wisconsin
- No. 12 Purdue volleyball sweeps ETSU in NCAA Tournament opener