MOROCCO, Ind. (WLFI) — School officials have closed North Newton Junior-Senior High School Monday following an "incident on a bus" on the way to the school, according to a news release.
According to Newton County Sherrif Office, around 6:45 a.m. Monday morning Newton County Sheriff’s Office was dispatched to CR 1100N and CR 525E for a report of a student on the bus with a handgun.
No gun was located in a search of the bus, backpacks or immediate area around the bus. Further investigation and review of the bus video and audio footage, no evidence of a student displaying or implying a gun and no threats were made to other students.
Newton County Sheriff’s Office is continuing the investigation however as it appears the report was from a verbal exchange between a student rider and a motorist that was taken out of context and exaggerated.
An earlier press release stated, "The decision to cancel school was made to ensure the safety of all of our students and staff."
- Newton County Sheriff's Office: No evidence of a student displaying or implying a gun
- Newton County Sheriff's Office issues warrant for chase suspect
- Newton County Sheriff's office looking for robbery suspect
- Body found in Newton County
- Newton County Sheriff's Office launches investigation into Fair Oaks animal abuse video
- Newton County blaze causes $50,000 damage
- Surveillance video shows Newton County robbery
- Semi and train collide in Newton County
- ISP Trooper catches Newton County carjacking suspect
- Jury finds Newton County man guilty of murder