WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — New traffic lights are installed at US 231 and US 52 in Montmorenci.
They are scheduled to turn on early next week.
Indiana Department of Transportation hopes the lights will help drivers navigate the railroad crossing and reduce crashes.
There were five just within the year.
The department's Traffic Investigations Engineer says a study found the lights are needed due to the high traffic volume.
Before this, there were just flashing yellow lights.
The signals are currently hanging over the intersection covered with bags for protection.
The communications director for INDOT says the project will help with the flow of traffic.
“Anytime a train is coming during traffic signal operation the signal is programmed to turn green for Walnut Street for an extra amount of time to ensure the vehicle queue clears the railroad tracks before the train,” said Debbie Calder.
The project was scheduled to be completed last month, but due to other projects the contractor had to reschedule.
- New traffic Lights in Montmorenci
- 2 dead after Montmorenci crash
- Storm leaves trail of damage near Montmorenci
- New traffic light comes to Wabash Landing
- TRAFFIC ALERT: Semi blocking traffic on Veterans Memorial Pkwy
- Local stoplight causing traffic backups
- Happy Hollow Light Project nears completion
- Seminar sheds light on crime prevention
- Court documents shed more light on stabbing
- New lights illuminate top of courthouse