LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — A new trend called the "Tide Pod Challenge" has young people taking serious risks.
In today's world, it seems like young people will do just about anything for social media fame. Even if that means putting their lives at risk.
The latest teen fad includes young people recording themselves biting into detergent pods and then posting videos of it online.
The videos have parents like Mason Wentz fearful.
"She's four years old, so like a sponge kind of absorbs everything she sees and if she sees something like that who knows what she's going to think about it," said Wentz.
Chief of emergency medicine at IU Health Arnett, Dr. Marc Estes said the effects of eating the colorful pods are no laughing matter.
"It can burn your esophagus on the way down which can then subsequently cause swelling in the esophagus, scarring of the esophagus," said Estes.
The pods are highly concentrated and poisonous, things can get really bad if the detergent gets aspirated down into your lungs.
"It can change the chemical nature and chemical structure of your lungs such that they don't remain open the way they're supposed to and then oxygen exchange doesn't take place the way it's supposed to," said Estes.
Estes said as long as this topic is getting attention, it's a good time for parents with young children to make sure they keep things like detergent out of reach.
- Social media challenge has young people taking serious risks
- Police investigate Harrison student's social media threat
- Social media movement inspires YWCA event
- Using weed regularly raises the risk of heart problems for young people, studies find
- White House creates tool for people to report alleged social media bias
- Social Media Ripping Apart Society, Former Facebook Exec Says
- Arrest made for social media threat against Delphi High School
- Gucci apologizes after social media users say sweater resembles blackface
- Purdue Social Media Technology Could Help Track Hurricane Doriane Damage
- Man faces charges after Indiana crash kills 2 young people