WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - A new rabbi has been installed as the spiritual leader of Temple Israel in West Lafayette.
Rabbi Michael Harvey was installed during a formal service this evening. He comes to West Lafayette from the Virgin Islands.
Rabbi Harvey joined Temple Israel in July. It is American custom to install a rabbi during the rabbi's first year.
Rabbi Harvey said the installation signifies two things. One of those is to announce to the community that there's a new leader. The other establishes a special moment.
"Where we agree to be sacred partners. Where the rabbi, the teacher, the students agree acknowledge each other, that we can exchange information, exchange respect, and hopefully have a long and prosperous relationship."
There will be a celebration by the congregation Saturday night to honor Rabbi Harvey and his family.
- New rabbi installed the Temple Israel in West Lafayette
- Temple Israel holds Shabbat honoring LGBTQ community
- Lafayette Masonic Temple breaks new ground
- New flashers installed for West Lafayette fire station
- Turtle crossing road sign installed after boy's letter to West Lafayette mayor
- Lafayette Jeff, West Lafayette schedule football series
- Cooke, West Lafayette top Lafayette Jeff 2-0
- West Lafayette pools open Thursday
- West Lafayette native makes history
- West Lafayette K-9 unexpectedly euthanized