WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) -- Another new construction project is making its way into Discovery Park District.
Provenance was approved by Tippecanoe County planners Wednesday to start its seven to eight year long process.
The developer of Provenance and the director of the 450-acre Discovery Park District said the new neighborhood is built strictly with people in mind.
Community members should start getting used to more cars driving by on Airport Road in the next several years.
This 90-acre lot of land is going to look vastly different pretty soon.
"Live, work, play community," said the director of Discovery Park District, Jeremy Slater.
The community at Discovery Park District should get ready for a new neighborhood.
"We're starting to bring a lot different pieces and components to what was an underlying goal of the Discovery Park District," said Slater.
Slater added the development is in good hands and won't face any challenges.
"Not a lot of obstacle, but obviously we have a lot of infrastructure to invest in," said Slater. "It's relatively virgin land."
The currently undeveloped site had been used for things like intramural playing fields, a community garden and even game day parking for Purdue University football games. Eventually kids, parents and even students will be able to live there.
The Provenance will have 550 residential units offering a walkable and sustainable community according to Old Town Company, the developer.
CEO Justin Moffett keeps one question in mind with this project.
"How do we create a special place that helps people thrive?" asked Moffett.
Thriving begins with new commercial space, a new community center and Squirrel Park, which is nearby
"All of these jobs that are coming into Discovery Park District means that there's meaningful work beyond just the academic world coming to campus," said Moffett
Provenance will have single-family and multi-family units, town homes and senior housing.
The neighborhood is divided into eight phases and the Moffett said a realistic time frame of completion is by 2027.
- New development Provenance coming to Purdue's Discovery Park District
- New developments possibly coming to Discovery Park District
- Community living coming to Discovery Park District
- 300 high-tech jobs coming to Purdue's Discovery Park
- Duke Energy building solar panel farm near Purdue's Discovery Park District
- Supercars to be built at Purdue's Discovery Park
- 30-year master plan for Discovery Park revealed
- Discovery Park Project takes another step forward
- New development in the works for the Purdue Research Park
- New housing developments coming downtown