WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - A new luxury bed and breakfast is now open in West Lafayette.
Grounds broke on The Whittaker Inn last April. Now, the final touches have been completed ahead of its grand opening.
The Whittaker is a fifteen room luxury bed and breakfast that gives visitors a taste of different cultures without leaving town.
"Each room is designed with a different country or state in mind just to give it a unique feel,” said co-owner Andrew Whittaker.
For several years, co-owners Andrew and Elizabeth Whittaker lived in New York and spent time traveling the world. They soon came up with the idea for a destination themed bed and breakfast to share their passion for travel.
"On an anniversary trip actually to a bed and breakfast in Connecticut we basically looked at each other and said you know something? We can do this,” said Andrew.
With the plan in mind, the couple set to work. Each room represents a location the Whittakers have visited.
When deciding on a location, the two Purdue alums knew West Lafayette was the perfect option.
"This is where we met. So this is where we got our professional and personal start together. So there was certainly some heart ties to it,” said Elizabeth Whittaker.
The inn sits on 25 acres of wooded property in northern West Lafayette. While there is plenty of space for more rooms, the Whittakers wanted to keep the number low.
They believe it helps create a more personal experience for guests.
"If they want something specific or something tailor-made to what they want, we have the opportunity to go ahead and provide that to them because we are on a smaller scale,” said Andrew.
With the grand opening just a few weeks away, the couple is excited to see what the future holds for the inn.
"This is a ground up build. A lot of times there is a lot of history in the building and we like to say that our guests will be a part of creating the history that is the Whittaker,” said Elizabeth.
The Whittaker Inn's soft opening began Monday. An official grand opening will be held May 2nd.
- New boutique bed and breakfast opens in West Lafayette
- West Lafayette pools open Thursday
- Plans moving ahead for bed and breakfast style inn
- Franciscan Health Lafayette opens new West Tower
- Indian & International Grocery opens in West Lafayette
- Lafayette Jeff, West Lafayette schedule football series
- West Lafayette native makes history
- School board announces opening dates for West Lafayette Intermediate School
- West Lafayette Intermediate School celebrates opening of new building
- Lafayette and West Lafayette team up for pedestrian trail funding