LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Franciscan Health is opening their new psychiatric stabilization center called EmPATH.
EmPATH which stands for Emergency Psychiatric Assessment is the first of its kind throughout Indiana. The service will be accessible to adult patients suffering from a mental health crisis and will provide around the clock service with the right medical officials.
Patients will first go to the Emergency Department where they will undergo a medical assessment and after be transferred to EmPATH with an intake nurse. At EmPATH, patients will be seen by a psychiatrist and if necessary be given medication immediately.
President and CEO of Franciscan Health of Western Indiana, Terry Wilson says he is confident medical officials will be able to give appropriate treatment. "The focus will be on evaluating the situation, stabilizing you, making sure you're stabilized, perhaps some treatment interventions, and deciding on a treatment plan and what the appropriate disposition for you is," said Wilson.
The unit is expected to facilitate patients for twelve hours with a maximum length of twenty three hours. EmPATH is offering calming rooms, an open space for patients to socialize with others, and a nurses station.
"Everybody will be screened in our emergency room to make sure that they're medically stable," said Wilson. Wilson stresses they cannot accommodate patients who are dealing with Alzheimers, dementia or people with addictions that do not have a psychiatric diagnosis. "This is a unit that is not built or staffed to take care of who people who are not medically stable," said Wilson.
After their stay, they will either be transferred to an inpatient program or are given an outpatient treatment plan.
EmPATH will open their out-patient facility tomorrow at Franciscan Health Lafayette East.
- New Psychiatric Unit at Franciscan Health
- Franciscan Health closes Inpatient psychiatric unit after 142 years
- HIGHLIGHTS/BRACKETS: Franciscan Health Hoops Classic
- Franciscan Health Lafayette East's campus expanding
- Franciscan Health holds discussion about suicide prevention
- Franciscan Health Lafayette unveils new rehabilitation gym
- Franciscan Health Lafayette opens new West Tower
- Franciscan Health hosts Safe Kids Day
- New security measures for Franciscan Health East
- Franciscan nurse donates kidney