LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - Lafayette's newest pickleball facility is officially open. It is the fastest growing sport in the nation.
Located at McCaw Park, the facility is home to twelve refitted and resurfaced courts. The courts replaced the park's former tennis and basketball courts.
A dedication ceremony was held this morning followed by a demonstration on how to play.The facility is the state's largest outdoor pickleball venue.
Stephanie Smith is the president of the Lafayette Indiana Pickleball Association. She believes the low impact sport is suitable for all ages. "We do have players ranging in age from 17 to what I like the call the older kids. That goes all the way up into the 80s,” said Smith.
Parks Superintendent Claudine Laufman tried the sport for the first time after the ceremony. She believes the sport is a great way to engage with friends and meet new people. “You can be playing with a group and have your best friend playing next door. Having a lot of people on the court at the same time really shows a lot of comradery,” said Laufman.
The facility will host a weekend long tournament later this month. It is expected to draw players from several states.
- New pickleball courts open in Lafayette
- Pickleball tournament draws hundreds to McCaw Park
- West Lafayette pools open Thursday
- Blind Pig Opens in Downtown Lafayette
- Franciscan Health Lafayette opens new West Tower
- Why hasn't Needler's opened in Lafayette yet?
- Indiana Tech now open in Lafayette
- New nature based playground opens in Lafayette
- Lafayette Urban Ministry opens Winter Warming Station
- Court docs: Lafayette shooting death was in self defense