LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — As soon as you walk into the Lafayette Family YMCA you will run into the new Franciscan Health portion on your left. Doctors as well as the therapist working there are looking forward to helping people in the community.
"We're just anticipating a smoother process too," said Dr. Emily Krodel. "Much more convenient."
The new Franciscan Health location is especially convenient for YMCA employee Jess Dirksen. Her son goes to daycare at the Y and will continue his speech therapy at the attached Franciscan facility.
"It's a perk to be a part of the YMCA in general, but then to have the added benefit of having Franciscan by our side is just a blessing," Dirken said.
Before this, she would have to stop working and drive to Franciscan Lafayette east. If her or her husband were busy, they would cancel their son's appointment. This will now change.
Dirksen said, "It'll just be a hop in the elevator and over to see his therapist."
Occupational, massage, and physical therapy is also available.
"If someone is coming for one condition and the therapist is thinking something else is going on they can tap into that specialty resource by just asking their coworker to come take a peak and give their recommendation," said Director of Rehab Shannon Heitmiller.
Franciscan uses the same gym equipment offered at the Y during therapy. Treatment also includes performing tasks that would be done at home.
Heitmiller said this type of therapy can, "Build that confidence for the patient and their caregivers that they are ready for that next step."
Therapy is located on the second floor and just down the stairs are the doctors offices. Dr. Greg Rowdon is doing all sport medicine Dr. Krodel is doing half primary care and half sports medicine.
"We have over 30 other trainers in the Franciscan system," said Dr. Krodel. "We're partnered with 29 area high schools."
The doctors and therapist agree being in this new space is great.
"Childcare and the convenience of the Y equipment and to be able to transition to the Y when someone is finished with therapy is really exciting."
Once patients are completely finished with their therapy, they will receive a three month membership to the Y. The goal is to promote fitness and to continue physical activity after therapy.
- New Franciscan Health facility opens inside Lafayette Family YMCA
- Franciscan Health Lafayette opens new West Tower
- Franciscan Health Lafayette rated five star hospital facility
- A look inside the new YMCA facility opening Thursday
- Franciscan Health Lafayette unveils new rehabilitation gym
- Franciscan Health Lafayette East's campus expanding
- Visitor restrictions to be placed on Franciscan Health facilities
- Lafayette Jeff, Benton Central advance in Franciscan Health Hoops Classic
- Franciscan Health donates building to Lafayette Catholic School System
- Lafayette Family YMCA still offering childcare services