LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) -- People near Ninth and Virginia Streets are in shock after a man was shot and killed in their neighborhood.
Neighbors said this area is normally quiet, but Friday it was the scene of a homicide investigation.
The investigation continues into the shooting and killing 30-year-old Thayer Summers of Lafayette.
"It is very quiet," area resident Hannah Sistek. "Nothing much goes on. Friendly people."
People like Sistek and Phyllis Hausladen don't give much thought to taking a stroll through their South Ninth Street neighborhood.
"When you walk around here you see kids playing, the dogs are out walking with their owners and what have you," said Hausladen. "It's definitely a neighborhood that you feel secure in."
But all that changed Friday morning.
Lafayette police said a man was shot and killed near Ninth and Virginia streets.
"That's really shocking and worrying," Sistek added. "I'm just curious about what goes on."
Investigators said they believe it was not a random act and that the public is not in danger.
That doesn't really ease Becky Burton's mind. She lives two blocks away from where the shooting happened.
The body was found in the alley right behind her close friend's home.
"That's what is frightening," said Burton. "Whether it's random or not, they could have shot more than once."
Hausladen said her walks will be a little shorter from now on.
"I think I will definitely stay closer to home where I do know the people I am surrounded by," Hausladen said.
This was Lafayette's second homicide of 2018.
LPD Sergeant Matt Gard said they've talked to everyone involved in the shooting. No arrests have been made at this time.
- Neighbors react to LPD homicide investigation
- Neighbors react to the homicide-suicide deaths in their neighborhood
- LPD released name of Lafayette homicide victim
- LPD investigating attempted armed robbery
- LPD investigating Broadway Street shooting
- Neighbors react to Meadowbrook shooting
- LPD: "Shooter interviewed and released" in Friday's 9th Street homicide
- Homicide investigation leads LPD to Dayton, Ohio, suspect involved in SWAT standoff
- Neighbors react to Lafayette’s first homicide in Hart St. home
- Neighbors react to a homicide, arson and stabbing so close to home