WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - Nineteen-year-old Margaret Woods is dead after an early morning house fire. It happened around 4:30 a.m. at the 52 Mobile Home Estates. That's a mobile home park off U.S. 52 near U.S. 231 in West Lafayette.
"There was somebody out here going up and down the road screaming help, help, help,” said Dennis Stevens, a resident of 52 Mobile Home Estates.
First responders found 18-year-old Christopher Davies outside when they arrived. He suffered injuries due to smoke and fire exposure and was taken to an Indianapolis hospital.
Stevens were shocked to see how quickly the fire spread. "It was already well engulfed by the time I got out here. It's not something that has happened before since I got here,” he said.
Responders learned that Woods was still inside the home. Several attempts were made to enter the home. But fire crews were unable to get to Woods.
Neighbors like Zachary Welch were upset to hear about the accident. But he says the situation could have been worse. "My fiancé’s dad had told me that if the trailer next to us had gotten hot enough it would've gotten our trailer. It would have been a chain reaction of fires. So I'm glad that that didn't happen,” said Welch.
Welch lives just two houses away.
He said the damage serves as a reminder that it can happen to anyone. "Seeing that trailer basically all burnt to pretty much ashes, all these trailers are old so anything could be wrong with them,” said Welch.
Investigators are still working to figure out a cause. At this time, no criminal activity is suspected to be involved.
- Neighbors react after fatal fire in West Lafayette
- Neighbors react to Meadowbrook shooting
- Neighbors react to LPD homicide investigation
- Neighbors react to shooting on Hartford Street
- West Lafayette welcomes back refurbished fire truck
- House catches fire in northern West Lafayette
- West Lafayette home destroyed in overnight fire
- Neighbors react to Lafayette drug bust that recovered 7 pounds of meth
- Neighbors react to Lafayette’s first homicide in Hart St. home
- Neighbors react to the death of the Lafayette man who lived next door