LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI)—It's easy for people to put into words how they're feeling about the grand opening of Needler's Fresh Market in Lafayette.
News 18 previously reported in February that the store would open at the end of April. Although that never happened and no one knows why.
But shoppers were pleased to see shelves fully stocked on Friday as they walked up and down the aisles.
"They had ice,” said shopper Sondra Ellis. “They had three for ten dollars."
Sondra Ellis lives near the grocery store. For two years she'd been going out of her way to shop at Meijer. She says she was thrilled to see the doors finally open.
"I would love it myself if I was even closer,” Ellis. “Because Wal-Mart is just down the street and I don't even go there."
The building used to be a Marsh Supermarket. That chain filed bankruptcy in 2017. Then Neelder's purchased the building but left it vacant for 2 years. Owner, Michael Needler said he's glad to have the store up and running.
"I'm so appreciate of this community and my team that rallied together to come and put our best foot forward to serve this fantastic community,” said Needler.
Needler said there were big shoes to fill when Marsh closed all of its stores in 2017.
"When we came into the State of Indiana we tried to fill some big shoes with all of the Marsh clothes that exited,” said Needler.
Former Marsh worker Randy Williams said he stopped by to see the new store and was impressed.
"I think they have a good facility,” said Williams. “They put some money into it. Shelves are stocked and they don't seem to be running out of product.”
Williams said Needler's will be just fine if they do one thing.
"Stay competitive,” said Williams. “That's the name of the game today."
If you'd like to stop by Needler's Fresh Market it's located at 2250 Teal Road and open daily from 6am - 11pm.
- Needler's Fresh Market is finally open
- Needler's Fresh Market announces August opening date
- Uncertain open date for planned Needler's Fresh Market
- It’s official! Needler’s Fresh Market in Lafayette is opening this April.
- One customer is concerned over freshness of groceries at Needler's Market
- Why hasn't Needler's opened in Lafayette yet?
- City leaders strive to keep Fresh City Market's doors open
- West Lafayette Fresh Thyme announces opening date
- Future unclear for Fresh City Market's retail space
- Meijer fresh vegetable recall