VALPARAISO, Ind. (AP) — A northwest Indiana man was found dead beneath his overturned riding lawn mower hours after relatives saw him mowing around a pond.
Forty-nine-year-old Thomas Wilkening was pronounced dead at the scene early Sunday on his Porter County property.
Relatives told investigators they had noticed Wilkening mowing grass around the pond about 9 p.m. Saturday with a zero-turn radius mower.
A few hours later, they noticed lights on in a pole barn and found him dead under the mower, which was at the base of a culvert on the rear of the property.
County Coroner Chuck Harrison says the county sheriff's department and other agencies are investigating Wilkening's death.
- NW Indiana man found dead beneath overturned lawn mower
- Suspect arrested in slaying of man buried beneath concrete
- Truck hauling cows overturns in southwestern Indiana
- Police: 2 women, man found dead in southwestern Indiana home
- Holcomb signs bill to replenish eroded NW Indiana beaches
- EPA to update NW Indiana residents on lead, arsenic cleanup
- NW Indiana scrap dealer convicted of razing historic bridge
- Murder charge dropped in fire death of NW Indiana woman
- NW Indiana police seek 4 in Christmas Eve shrine vandalism
- Construction worker dies at BP’s NW Indiana oil refinery