MERRILLVILLE, Ind. (WLFI) — NIPSCO is warning customers that scammers are targeting them.
The company says it has received several hundred calls from both residential and business customers.
They say they're being contacted by someone claiming to be affiliated with the company and demanding payment through a prepaid card.
Some customers have reported scammers even knocking on their doors.
Others say the company's 1-800 customer service phone number was cloned to appear on caller IDs.
NIPSCO are asking customers to follow these tips to protect themselves from potential scammers:
• Call NIPSCO first – If you are not sure about a phone call, email, program, offer or person claiming to be affiliated with NIPSCO, call their 24-hour Customer Care Center at 1-800-464-7726.
• Guard your personal information – Never give personal information, including your NIPSCO account number, Social Security numbers or banking information to unconfirmed sources. NIPSCO will only ask for a Social Security number when establishing new service or verifying a customer’s identity.
• Know your payment options – NIPSCO will never ask for a pre-paid debit card or money gram as a payment method. Learn more about payment options at NIPSCO.com/billing-payment-options so you can spot a potential scam.
• Never agree to meet in person – Some scams ask customers to meet them in person to make payments with cash or prepaid cards, which you should avoid.
If someone visits your home or business:
• Ask to see ID – NIPSCO employees and contractors carry photo ID badges and will show you upon request.
• Use caution with cash – NIPSCO employees do not collect cash payments nor deliver cash refunds or rebates to customers. Refrain from sending cash through the mail to prevent loss or theft.
For more information about scams, visit NIPSCO.com/staysafe.