LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Tippecanoe County Commissioner Tom Murtaugh is home recovering following his kidney operation last week.
Murtaugh made the decision to donate his kidney to his high school teacher and former Lafayette Jeff Football coach, Dave Knott. You can find that story here.
Knott has a genetic kidney disease and needed a transplant. Murtaugh saw a call out post from Knott's daughter on Facebook and decided to step up.
The two rode down to the big operation in Indianapolis a week ago Thursday. Murtaugh said both he and Knott are doing well.
The day of surgery, their prep rooms and recovery rooms were across the hall from each other. The two were able to have a lot of interaction before, during and after.
Murtaugh said they even watched some March Madness games post surgery. Both men are overwhelmed by the well wishes and support from the community.
Murtaugh said he is glad people are talking about it, but not because he wants praise.
"We were going to attempt to do it without even making any public announcement but we knew it was going to get out and so we decided to maybe use this as an awareness issue for the living donor program," he said.
Murtaugh hopes more people consider organ donation. He said while on the donor floor, he ran into many people needing transplants of all kinds.
Murtaugh expects to make a full recovery in two weeks. He's been getting updates from the Knott family who told him Dave should be home by the end of this week.
Information about the living donor program can be found here.
- Murtaugh home recovering following kidney operation
- Donating a kidney: an easy choice for Tom Murtaugh
- Franciscan nurse donates kidney
- Body recovered following a fire in a Pulaski County home
- Rep. Brown back home recovering after motorcycle crash
- Melania Trump in hospital for treatment of kidney condition
- Woman awaiting kidney transplant shares importance of organ donation
- Man's body recovered following Indiana canoe accident
- Indiana school district recovering from ransomware attack
- Indiana agents raid 2 suspected cockfighting operations