Photo Gallery 9 Images
FRANKFORT, Ind. (WLFI) — Several buildings housing two families, a sports club, a pet groomer and a mural title the "History of Frankfort" have been lost after a morning fire. Officials said it started around 9:30 a.m. Tuesday in the garage on the side of the building housing T&R Pet Grooming at 55 West Washington Street.
The fire spread through the building to the vacant second floor. As firefighters worked to contain the fire, it continued to spread to the next building over. During which, one firefighter was reportedly injured and taken to the hospital.
Firefighters on scene said the firefighter who was hurt was Greg Miller, a 30+ year veteran of the deparmtent. The firefighters said he was released from IU Health Arnett and is at home recovering after falling through the floor.
The second building's first floor contained the Frankfort Sports Club. The second floor of that building contained two apartments with five people. The third floor was used by The Knights of Pythias and contained a number of papers and paper goods. The two families were evacuated and according to Red Cross, they suffered no major injuries.
While firefighters were able to stop the spread of the flames from reaching the third building, both the first and the second are considered losses.
All Frankfort Fire Department shifts were called in to fight the fire. The Lebanon Fire Department assisted as well. The Red Cross was on scene to help both the fire departments as well as those displaced by the fire.
The fire is currently under investigation.
- Multiple buildings lost and 2 families displaced after Frankfort fire
- Family displaced in Tippecanoe County house fire
- Three families displaced in early morning fire
- Frankfort fire under careful watch
- Cause of Frankfort fire undetermined
- Fire displaces dozens of people at senior apartment building in Lawrence
- Frankfort Fire lift 'shelter in place' alert
- One dead in Frankfort structure fire
- Firefighter pulled from downtown Frankfort fire
- Storms cause damage in Frankfort