TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) -- It was a chaotic morning commute for drivers in Tippecanoe County Tuesday. As of 11:30 a.m., 56 crashes and slide-offs were reported across the county by all the police agencies after freezing rain covered the roads.
Lafayette police responded to 23 different crashes, including 17 property damages, two slide-offs, one minor personal injury and one hit-and-run.
West Lafayette police handled six crashes and one slide-off, including a wreck that closed lanes of the Sagamore Parkway bridge.
The Tippecanoe County Sheriff's Office was called to 18 crashes and three slide-offs Tuesday. Deputies said it was especially bad on State Road 25 South between Westpoint and State Road 28. There were several rollover crashes, according to deputies. Nobody was seriously injured.
State Police closed northbound I-65 near State Road 25 around 7 a.m. Troopers said there were five crashes in that area.
I-65 and Sagamore Parkway have since reopened.
- More than 50 crashes and slide-offs reported in Tippecanoe Co. Tuesday morning
- Several slide-offs due to slick roads
- Woman thrown from car in Friday morning Tippecanoe County crash
- Tippecanoe Co. under flood warning until Tuesday
- Candidate left off Tippecanoe County primary ballot
- Two hospitalized after crash in Tippecanoe County
- Lafayette water park getting two new slides
- Tippecanoe Co. Sheriff and Prosecutor debate happening Tuesday
- Early voting begins Tuesday in Tippecanoe County municipal primary
- Tracking freezing fog Tuesday morning