Photo Gallery 1 Images
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — A months-long search for a man accused of robbing a West Lafayette gas station has ended with his arrest. Markeon Lavonta Devine, 21 of West Lafayette, was arrested Monday, according to jail records.
Devine is facing four charges including armed robbery, resisting law enforcement, auto theft and theft.
News 18 was there on the morning of March 5. Prosecutors say around 3:45 a.m., Devine walked into the Circle K gas station on the corner of Sagamore Parkway and Yeager Road and pointed a gun at the clerk. Devine demanded money, then drove off in an SUV.
After a short chase with police, Devine crashed the SUV into a utility pole and ended up coming to a stop on Lindberg Road, according to court documents. He then ran from the scene.
Police later learned the owner of the SUV did not give Devine permission to drive it. Court documents say the owner gave it to his son, who drove it to Devine's apartment. When the son woke up, Devine told him he had just robbed a gas station and he used the SUV to drive away from police, according to court documents.
Devine's roommate told police later that morning, he drove Devine to a family member's home in Chicago. While with him, the roommates said he overheard a conversation where Devine admitted to the crimes, according to court documents.
The state is requesting a $50,000 bond. As of Wednesday, Devine was listed in the Tippecanoe County Jail.
West Lafayette police are searching for a man in connection to an alleged armed robbery. Entered Circle K on Yeager/Sagamore around 4 am, led police on pursuit that ended outside Univ. Place. Man then ran west toward 231. No injuries. More on #News18ThisMorning @WLFI pic.twitter.com/sr7Cq4tkt2
— Trevor Peters (@TrevorPetersTV) March 5, 2019
- Months-long search for West Lafayette robbery suspect ends with arrest
- Hours long standoff in West Lafayette ends when suspect kills himself
- Lafayette police looking for robbery suspect
- Police searching for Linden bank robbery suspect
- West Lafayette Fire Department raising money for autism awareness month
- One shot fired in West Lafayette liquor store robbery
- Shell gas station robbery suspect arrested
- Lafayette police arrest woman after hours long standoff
- Sixteen mile long police chase ends with an arrest
- School ends, summer begins for West Lafayette schools