MIAMI COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — A three-vehicle crash in Miami County Tuesday morning has resulted in the death of a 12-year-old girl.
Police say it happened at around 8 a.m. at the intersection of U.S. 24 and Broadway Street.
According to police investigators, a semi driven by 62-year-old Scott Baker of Eaton was hauling scrap and headed eastbound on U.S. 24.
As the semi approached the stoplight at the intersection, an SUV driven by 31-year-old Kristina Buffington of Peru was waiting at the intersection to turn southbound onto Broadway.
When the light changed, Buffington took the turn onto Broadway, however, the semi failed to stop for the red light and struck the SUV on the passenger side.
The impact sent the SUV spinning into another car stopped at the intersection driven by 43-year-old Jayson Hall of Peru.
Baker was not injured in the crash, however, Kristina Buffington and passenger, 8-year-old Devin Buffington, were airlifted to a Ft. Wayne hospital. Kristina's injuries were reported to be life-threatening while Devin suffered nonlife-threatening injuries to the head and face.
A third person in the SUV, 12-year-old Amanda Buffington, was pronounced dead at the scene despite having life-saving procedures administered by first responders.
Hall also suffered life-threatening injuries and was airlifted to a Ft. Wayne hospital.
The crash is still under investigation. Police do not believe that alcohol or drugs were a contributing factor.
“We are currently in the infancy of the crash investigation,” stated Indiana State Police Sgt. Rick Brown. “Our crash reconstruction team will analyze the evidence collected and prepare a report for the Miami County Prosecutor’s Office to review.”
- Miami County crash claims life of 12-year-old girl
- Madison County crash claims 1 life
- EMT Dies in Miami County Crash
- Kokomo teen dies in Miami Co. crash
- One dead after motorcycle crash in Miami County
- Police seeking information in fatal Miami County crash
- 1 dead, 6 injured after Miami County crash
- One injured in Miami County school bus crash
- Officials: 12-year-old girl arrested after school threats
- Curb ramp upgrades begin in Miami County Monday