WHITE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — Two men are in custody after deputies said they robbed a home and then led police on an interstate chase. White County Sheriff Pat Shafer said 37-year-old Jeffrey Down of Lafayette and 38-year-old Eric Maxson of Brookston are facing preliminary charges for the incident early Monday morning.
Around 5:40 a.m. on Nov. 19, deputies received a report of a burglary in progress at a residence/business on State Road 231 north of the Tippecanoe/White County border. Deputies saw two men drive away in a white Dodge pickup truck with a Texas license plate.
Deputies tried to pull the truck over, but the driver didn't stop. The truck drove north on State Road 231, turned onto State Road 18 and then exited onto I-65 southbound. The driver then did a U-turn on the interstate before exiting back onto State Road 18. The chase ended near 450 West and 600 South when the driver drove down a gravel road leading to windmills.
Down, the driver, faces a preliminary charge of burglary and resisting law enforcement. He is being held in the White County jail on a $40,000 bond.
Maxson is facing a preliminary charge of Burglary with bond set at $40,000.
- Men arrested after leading deputies on interstate chase
- Check fraud attempt at Chase bank leads to 4 arrests
- Interstate 65 expansion project update
- Sheriff: Indiana deputy shot during chase has died
- Indiana officers honor slain deputy shot during chase
- Four-county police chase ends in arrest
- Man arrested after multi-county chase
- Traffic shift coming to Interstate 65
- Man shot, wounded after leading Indiana police on chase
- Attempted robbery, police chase leads to charges against Illinois man