LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Three people have been arrested and face charges after a false report of a robbery which led to a standoff with police. According to police, around 4 a.m. Friday morning, the Lafayette Police Department received a report of an armed robbery that had taken place at McDonald's on Sagamore Pkwy S in Lafayette. Police were told a suspect pulled a gun in the drive-thru window and demanded cash, then took cash from the register and left.
Security footage allowed police and employees to identify the suspect as former employee Nicholas Bates. Bates had quit shortly before 3 a.m that morning.
Police then went to a home on Phipps Court in Romney Meadows. Officers spoke to Regina Lewis who lived at the apartment and asked to speak with Bates but were not successful which led police to obtain a search warrant for the apartment.
Lafayette SWAT was called to serve the warrant about 4:30 a.m. The residents of the apartment, Regina Lewis, and her two young children and a 15-year-old sibling came out of the apartment but Bates refused to exit. That started about a five-hour standoff.
Lafayette SWAT climbed onto the roof of a home and broke through the siding. Officers then deployed tear gas, forcing Bates out about 9:15 a.m. where he was taken into custody.
Detectives with the Lafayette Police Department interviewed all parties involved in the standoff and robbery and determined the employee that initially reported the robbery, 20-year-old Jamarkis Hackett, gave false information and there was no weapon used and it was not a robbery. Hackett was arrested for false informing.
19-year-old Regina Lewis was arrested for assisting a criminal. The children in the apartment were all turned over to a relative.
Nicholas Bates was arrested for Theft, Trespassing, and Resisting Law Enforcement. The trespassing arrest resulted from a previous trespass warning issued against him for the apartment complex where he was located Friday.
- LPD Detectives: The incident was not a robbery
- LPD investigating attempted armed robbery
- LPD investigating Black Friday alleged armed robbery
- LPD investigating South Street bank robbery
- LPD searching for suspect in armed robbery
- LPD makes arrests in overnight shots fired incident
- LPD investigates three shooting incidents that appear to be related
- LPD searching for suspect in alleged VP armed robbery
- LPD arrests man in 19th Street attempted armed robbery
- LPD celebrates distinguished officer