LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — When you walk down the halls of McCutcheon High School you see the accomplishments from sports like football, basketball, and baseball. One sport which hasn't been as successful in the past is turning its luck around.
"We're sitting at 12-1, 4-0 in the conference right now, number one in the West," said head coach Caleb Carnahan.
The McCutcheon boys tennis team is having one of their best seasons in program history under Carnahan.
"My first season I got here we went 7-9," said Carnahan. "Second season we doubled our wins. We had 14 wins and four losses I believe and we kind of just built from there."
"We knew coming out we had a really strong team that we would be able to do pretty great things," said senior Josh Hanback. "We never could have imagined 12-1 and being number one in the conference."
The Mavericks were once a program which didn't receive a lot of recognition. Now, they're talked about all around school.
"In my English class the teacher read the announcements and it's really fun to hear that we are still undefeated and then we're 12-1," said Hanbeck. "That is really awesome to be apart of that and say that's our team. That's what we're doing."
"We get a lot of support from our school and people are always coming to our matches and cheering us on," said sophomore Gavin Darneen. "It's a really good atmosphere while we're playing."
As the saying goes, the sky is the limit. And the Mavericks are on cloud nine.
- McCutcheon boys tennis riding wave of success
- Boys Sectional Tennis Scores
- McCutcheon's Phinisee signs with Indiana
- McCutcheon baseball blanks Benton Central
- Heat Wave Continues Sunday
- McCutcheon eyes first sectional title since 1999
- McCutcheon spell bowl team state-bound
- HIGHLIGHTS: McCutcheon 58, Winamac 31 (BBB)
- HIGHLIGHTS: Benton Central 49, McCutcheon 44 (GBB)
- HIGHLIGHTS: McCutcheon 70, Western 30 (BBB)