WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Tenants at The Hub on Campus in West Lafayette were able to settle into their new apartment for the first time on Sunday. This comes after two delayed move-in dates and a day before classes begin at Purdue University.
“The management for this apartment is not really mature and they are not ready for the new renters here,” said Ross Chen, tenant of The Hub.
Chen and his roommate are among many tenants of West Lafayette's new high-rise wondering what went wrong.
“It doesn't make sense for me cause I have paid all the rent and it's really expensive,” said Chen.
The Hub on Campus is one of West Lafayette's newest options for off-campus living. The lease gave tenants a move-in date for Aug. 12 but on Aug. 1, management sent an email with new plans.
“I get an email saying that the move-in date has been delayed five days and basically I don't think there was any explanation,” said Juwon Lee, The Hub tenant.
The new date was set for Saturday, Aug. 17, however, the day before, another email was sent out.
“It was like, 'must-read', we can't move in tomorrow because we didn't get the certificate of occupancy from the City of West Lafayette, which basically means that the apartment is not habitable,” said Lee.
Juwon Lee said it was a distressing experience finding a place to stay until The Hub met city requirements.
“It's like a week before, two weeks before school starts and there's nothing available in West Lafayette. Like nothing,” said Lee. “It obviously really messed up my plans and I had to scramble to find housing.”
Lee was able to find temporary housing, and so was Chen but he said it wasn't cheap.
“I just booked a hotel at the Four Point near the Walmart and it's about $200 a night,” said Chen.
The Hub Management team issued a statement promising reimbursement for tenant's extra expenditures. According to Jason Sherman, the communication contact for The Hub, the management team will look into further compensation on a case-by-case basis.
- Mayhem surrounding move-in day at The Hub on Campus in West Lafayette
- More security measures come to The Hub on Campus in West Lafayette
- Tenants are unhappy with the conditions at the new Hub on Campus apartments in West Lafayette
- The Hub on Campus tenants demanding action
- Questions surround window regulations after The Hub suicide
- Owners of The Hub On Campus respond to shooting incident
- West Lafayette Community Welcome Students Living Off Campus
- West Lafayette off-campus rental housing getting smoke detector update
- West Lafayette moving forward with Newman Road Underpass Project
- West Lafayette city officials move forward with Morton Center renovations