WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Purdue announced on Friday the new head of Purdue’s School of Aeronautics and Astronautics. William A. Crossley will assume the position on July 20.
Crossley is currently a professor in the School of Aeronautics and Astronautics and director of Partnership to Enhance General Aviation Safety, Accessibility and Sustainability (PEGASAS), the Federal Aviation Administration Center of Excellence for General Aviation. Under Crossley’s leadership since 2013, PEGASAS has been awarded 32 projects and $19.1 million in FAA funds.
“Professor Crossley is not only an accomplished research leader of PEGASAS and a renowned educator on campus and online, he also has a deep appreciation of the unique conditions and opportunities at Purdue’s School of Aeronautics and Astronautics,” said Mung Chiang, the John A. Edwardson Dean of Engineering. “I am excited that on the 50th anniversary of our AAE alumnus Neil Armstrong’s walk on the lunar surface, the leadership of Purdue AAE will move forward to position this storied school for the next 50 years of unparalleled excellence as our society creates the future for the air and for space.”
Crossley has extensive familiarity with the school, joining the faculty as an assistant professor in 1995.
As the incoming head, I look forward to serving the students, faculty and staff as we improve the School of Aeronautics and Astronautics’ impact and prominence as one of the top aerospace engineering programs in the world,” Crossley said. “This is an incredibly exciting time for aerospace. Our school will continue to play a key role in new opportunities and to explore and push boundaries.”
- New head for School of Aeronautics and Astronautics is announced by Purdue
- Purdue's 23rd astronaut heads to space Sunday
- Astronaut to receive honorary degree from Purdue
- Purdue's homecoming weekend welcomes back 10 astronauts
- Purdue to make announcement regarding Purdue NewU
- Astronaut Charlie Walker made a stop at Purdue Space Day
- PURDUE: NewU offical name announced
- Purdue announces new Gateway Complex
- Purdue headed to Bloomington for rivalry weekend
- Purdue 2018 hall of fame class announced