WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Purdue Sports) — Purdue junior Matt Haarms was named to the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame's Kareem Abdul-Jabbar watch list, given to the nation's top center, the organization announced today.
Haarms is one of 20 players named and one of three Big Ten players on the list (Iowa's Luka Garza, Michigan's Jon Teske).
Haarms, a 7-foot, 3-inch center from Amsterdam, appeared in all 36 games with 24 starts a year ago. He played his best late in the season, averaging 11.8 points, 6.4 rebounds, 2.7 blocks and 1.1 assists in the final 15 games of the season. He became the second player in Big Ten history, and first since 2007 (Ohio State's Greg Oden), to lead the league in field goal percentage and blocked shots in the same season.
For the season, he averaged 9.4 points, 5.4 rebounds and 2.1 blocks per game, while shooting 63.2 percent from the field, the seventh-best mark in school history.
He enters the 2019-20 campaign with 153 career blocks, good for seventh on the Purdue list and sixth among all active players despite being just a junior.
Haarms and the Boilermakers open the regular season Nov. 6, when Green Bay visits Mackey Arena.
- Matt Haarms tabbed to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar watch list
- Isaac Haas named to Abdul-Jabbar watch list
- Purdue center Matt Haarms enters transfer portal
- The art of the Matt Haarms 'Hair Flip'
- Purdue Basketball's Matt Haarms works to find shelter dogs a new home
- Purdue Basketball's Matt Haarms stays in Greater Lafayette to walk dogs for shelter despite coronavirus outbreak
- Haarms scores 26 points, Purdue beats Minnesota 83-78 2OT
- Vince Edwards makes Naismith Award watch list
- Edwards, Haarms team up to lead No. 12 Purdue past Penn St.
- Haarms' late tip-in sends No. 15 Purdue past Indiana 48-46