LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Martin Luther King Jr. spread a message of togetherness and community. That's why local students spent Martin Luther King Day doing just that.
Vanessa Pacheco, civic engagement coordinator at Purdue organized the students day of service in honor of MLK Day.
“At the end of the day, the civil rights movement was really about community, it was really about creating the kind of community that we want to live in,” said Pacheco.
Nearly 400 Purdue students volunteered their time to various organizations across the community. Some included Cumberland Pointe Health Campus, Pack Away Hunger, and YWCA.
“We chose the agencies that we did because they have a direct impact not only on the students here but also in the entire community,” said Pacheco.
Pacheco hopes students realize the impact of their service today
“A lot of students, they say, well I'm only going to be here for four years. But the things that they do while they're here have an impact for years to come,” said Pacheco.
At Lafayette Christian School, teachers hope their students' act of service is something they hold on to.
“Whether it's this year while they're in third grade, kindergarten or when they're in middle school or high school, it's a seed that we're planting that we hope grows and grows,” said Lafayette Christian School teacher, Michelle Tuinstra.
Lafayette Christian students spent the day writing cards for kids in the hospital, putting together hygiene bags for the homeless and even honoring our veterans and officer with appreciation bags and notes.
“We are called to help the people in our community, we can not just sit back,” said Tuinstra.
- Martin Luther King Day brings students of all ages out to serve
- Greater Lafayette remembers Martin Luther King
- Purdue celebrates legacy of Martin Luther King Jr.
- Marching to honor Dr. Martin Luther King Jr's legacy
- Voters decide against keeping Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd
- Temple Israel increasing security for Martin Luther King Jr. celebration
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. celebration aims at bringing inclusion to community
- QUIZ: How much do you know about Martin Luther King Jr. Day?
- Church celebrates Martin Luther King Jr. through singing, dancing and speech
- Clinics bring health resources to the medically under served