INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — The prosecutor for Indianapolis is going to stop pressing criminal charges against adults for possessing about one ounce or less of marijuana.
Acting Marion County Prosecutor Ryan Mears announced the new policy Monday, saying the office will focus on prosecuting violent crimes. He says the one-ounce level distinguishes between users and dealers, whom the office will continue prosecuting.
Mears says the office has dismissed about 80 percent of marijuana possession charges so far this year. Mears became acting prosecutor last week with Prosecutor Terry Curry's resignation.
A Democratic Party caucus Saturday will select Curry's replacement. Tim Moriarty, a top aide to Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett, is challenging Mears.
Moriarty says he supports the marijuana policy change but that more drug abuse and mental health treatment is also needed.
- Indianapolis prosecutor won't charge small marijuana amounts
- Indianapolis prosecutor resigning amid cancer treatments
- Police: 2 die in small plane crash near Indianapolis
- Tippecanoe Co. Prosecutor discusses opposition to legalizing medical marijuana
- Tippecanoe County prosecutor keeping zero-tolerance on marijuana possession
- Suburban Indianapolis swim coach faces federal charges
- Indianapolis councilman resigns, pleads guilty to charges
- Suspended Indianapolis priest charged with sex crimes
- Indianapolis utility wants to increase 2 monthly charges
- 2 Indianapolis men charged in shooting that killed girl, 1